Templin Historical Museum

About Templin Historical Museum

This area was first settled in the 1840s by squatters on their vast runs. Closer settlement occurred 18-20 years later following a government initiative encouraging migration from the German States. This led to an influx of German settlers keen to select some Crown land to call their own.

Many of these German selectors were from the Templin and Englesburg area in the Uckermark, Germany so they used these names to identify their new homes in Queensland.

In 1890 a group of local families petitioned the government to build a school within the Templin area and Templin State School opened in January 1892 with an initial enrolment of 50 students. Following a gradual decline in numbers, Templin State School closed its doors in December 1974.

The following year, the Fassifern District Historical Society was supported by the Boonah Shire, Education Queensland and the Queensland Museum to develop the site as an historical village. Over the years, significant local buildings have been relocated to the Templin Historical Museum, all of which now contain a vast array of artefacts reflecting aspects of settlement from the 1870s to present times.